We are committed to helping the animals in our care find loving, permanent homes.
Finding Your Next Buddy
Take some time to browse our buddies. When you visit the shelter, our dedicated adoption counselors can help you find the perfect animal for you and guide you through the adoption process.
Our Adoption Process
Before you visit us to adopt an animal be sure that you:
- Bring all family and household members
- Bring carrier for cat adoptions
- Bring other family canines, along with proof of rabies/distemper, for dog adoptions
- If you rent a house, apartment, or condo, bring a copy of the lease/rider which indicates that pets are allowed
- Must be 21 years or older
Once you are here and have found the perfect buddy for you, you will work with our volunteers through these steps:
- Fill out an adoption questionnaire
- Meet with an adoption counselor
- View and select pet(s)
- Accept and sign contract
- Pay applicable fees
Potential adopters need to be at the shelter 45 minutes prior to closing to ensure adequate meet and greet time.
Our fees are non-refundable. Members receive a 10% discount on all adoption fees.
- Cats: $125*
- Senior Cats (over 7 years old): $75*
- Kittens (1 year old and under): $150*
- Dogs (over 2 years old): $265*
- Puppies (Under 1 to 2 years old): $300*
- Puppies (Under 1 year): $325*
* Rabies tag included (for puppies, over 4 months)
There may be an additional transfer charge if the dog/cat has a microchip that charges a transfer fee.
Adoption fees include the following:
- Medical check-up
- Feline Leukemia & FIV test (FeLv/FIV combination for cats)
- Heartworm check/treatments
- Distemper shots as needed (FVRCP for cats)
- Rabies (for dogs over 4 months old)
- Flea treatments
- Spay/Neuter certificate , if unaltered
- Microchip ID
When you adopt an animal from The Buddy Foundation, you agree to the following:
- Make an appointment with your veterinarian for post-adoption checkup and for additional shots/worming care, as required
- Spay/Neuter pet within the time period specified in the certificate
- Abide by our adoption contract
- Give continuing care, love, comfort throughout the animal’s lifetime
Adopting a pet requires loving care for the lifetime of the animal. In rare occasions where you simply must give up your pet, the animal must be returned to The Buddy Foundation so that we can insure its welfare.
The Buddy Foundation has the right to refuse an adoption at any time and for any reason.
For the present time The Buddy Foundation is not adopting dogs outside of the state of Illinois.